Thursday, April 23, 2009

The adventure!

For the past two weeks or so my emotions have been swinging between incredible excitement and crazy nervousness. If you have a life outside Facebook, and have not experienced my endless announcements about this big adventure, let me give you some background:

I am leaving for Palm Desert, CA on Sunday, April 26 to take on a nine week training course to become a Bikram Yoga Instructor. About 2 years ago I roped my dear friends Erin and BC into going to my first Bikram class with me. I had been curious about this "Bikram Hot Yoga" since college. The Bikram studio in Raleigh, when I first noticed it, was behind Meredith College, and I was so intrigued by it. What did they *do* in there? The windows were always fogged up, so I couldn't figure it out by simply peeking in. I had to take a class. That first class kicked. my. butt. And I loved it! A regular practice was not in my budget at the time, so I did not return to a Bikram studio until this past July. I have taken to it like nothing I've ever tried! Not familiar with this style of yoga? Bikram yoga consists of 26 yoga postures and 2 breathing exercises. It is the same class, every class. It is 90 minutes long, and the room is heated to about 105 degrees with 40% humidity. The series was created by this man, Bikram Choudry:


This yoga does wonderful things for your body and mind! The training is going to be tough, but the hard work will definitely be worth it! Here's an example of our daily schedule (taken from bikramyoga.com):

Monday - Friday
8:30am - 10:00am Bikram's Basic Yoga Class
10:00am - 12:15pm Lunch Break
12:15pm - 4:00pm Posture Clinic/Lectures
5:00pm - 6:30pm Bikram's Basic Yoga Class
6:30pm - 9:00pm Dinner break
9:00pm - ??? Posture Clinic/Lecture
Saturday
8:00am - 9:30am Bikram's Basic Yoga Class
Sunday
Day of Rest
A typical day at the Teacher Training starts at 8am and lasts until at least midnight including two daily Bikram Yoga classes.

SWEET! (Or do I mean 'sweat'?? hmmmmm....)












No comments:

Post a Comment

I am far from home. I am out of any sort of conceivable comfort zone. My body aches. Encouragement/cheerleading is very much appreciated :) !!